Blended frozen drinks don’t have to be bad, they just usually are. With a bit of care you can make a tasty balanced drink that isn’t too sweet. But it isn’t just the recipe, the technique for blending a cocktail can make a world of difference between a watered down slurry and an amazing frozen cocktail. Here are a couple of basic steps and tips to make your blended drinks as amazing as they can be.
The 4 Steps to Blending
- Add all ingredients to the blender. This includes the spirits, fruit, syrups and whatever other ingredients are in your recipe. Make sure all fruit is in 1″ cubes or smaller. Do not add ice at this step.
- Blend all of the ingredients. You want all of the ingredients to be well blended and mixed before you add ice to the equation. This step can be skipped if all ingredients are already a liquid.
- Add ice and blend. Add ice until there is just a touch of try ice above the liquid.
- Once smooth, pour into a chilled glass. If serving with a straw, use at least two normal straws or a singular straw with a larger bore.
A couple of basic tips:
- Make sure your blender is clean at all times, even between cocktails.
- Don’t use carbonated drinks such as sodas as they will foam and turn your cocktail into a huge mess.
- Fresh fruits lead to the best frozen cocktails. They also put less strain on your blender’s motor.
- Hold the lid on your blender whenever in use. This will help prevent more messes.
Here is a great short video which offers a visual aid to these steps: